DPD Forum - Home Of The DPD Army

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Haify
DeadmanXIII
6 posters

ONlive has gone FREE

DeadmanXIII
    DeadmanXIII

ONlive has gone FREE Empty ONlive has gone FREE

Post by DeadmanXIII Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:16 am

This is Huge news for me at least!

ONlive is the cloud gaming service, that basically works but you playing super high spec games on a PC that isn't capable of running it. You log into a server and play thr game remotely, sending your inputs to the server an the server sends video of the game back to you. Kind of.

The service originally had a $15 a month subscription, and then you still had to buy your games on top. But now, the subscription has been axed and there are FREE demos to try out, so as far as im concerned they have removed the barrier of entry.

I'm thinking of picking up a wired 360 controller and dabbling with PC gaming with ONlive!
    Haify
    Haify

ONlive has gone FREE Empty Re: ONlive has gone FREE

Post by Haify Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:55 pm

I've never understood the point of this but then again I build my pc's so I can play high end games Razz
    DeadmanXIII
    DeadmanXIII

Post by DeadmanXIII Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 pm

i have a very nice (thank you HaIfy) laptop, but its not gaming spec. Being able to play Crysis at full spec on it is a good thing for me!
    Haify
    Haify

Post by Haify Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:30 pm

Very Happy

Don't think any one can play crysis full spec with out abit of lag Razz
    Davekma
    Davekma

Post by Davekma Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:10 am

DeadmanXIII wrote:
    I'm thinking of picking up a wired 360 controller and dabbling with PC gaming with ONlive!

Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?
    DeadmanXIII
    DeadmanXIII

Post by DeadmanXIII Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:13 am

Davekma wrote:
    DeadmanXIII wrote:

Where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?

well its hard to use keyboard and mouse when the laptop is atop your lap!
    Davekma
    Davekma

Post by Davekma Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:54 am

More facepalm is needed Razz

Just joking with you dude, give it a bash and see what it's like. Just be aware, I was reading a bit about it last night and apparently you don't get to choose the graphic settings, they're just kind of defaulted to mid to low range, so it won't look as good as it could.
    huntervp
    huntervp

Post by huntervp Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:00 am

i will be interested watch how on live goes i remember watching a keynote there did months ago about the console thing there are making what would be interesting to watch out for also there showed mobile device gaming in what would be quite crazy i think i might give on live a look as my pc would rage quit on me if i tried crysis with out on live
    jufonuk
    jufonuk

Post by jufonuk Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:16 am

just tried it out and borderlands runs awesomely there is like a millisecond lag but you get used to it, shame there is hardly any games on the service, not many I really weant to play apart from borderlands

kane and lynch was crap in general the camera made me feel sea sick lol

happy to report my xbox game pad works on it without any problems and the game runs in a nice resolution deffinitly higher than my laptop could manage.. it feels like you are actually playing it on your home machine, I can deffinitly see this taking off..

if they had games like left for dead on this with steam link up/voice chat i would use this a hell of a lot, increase the games on the service and keep it no subs pay only for the game and hell you got yourself a customer Very Happy
    DeadmanXIII
    DeadmanXIII

Post by DeadmanXIII Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Well, I have a day off tomorrow, so I'll install ONlive and try it out. What are th game prices like? I assume we aren't talking Steam levels of cheapness here!
    jufonuk
    jufonuk

Post by jufonuk Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:40 pm

DeadmanXIII wrote:Well, I have a day off tomorrow, so I'll install ONlive and try it out. What are th game prices like? I assume we aren't talking Steam levels of cheapness here!

full price usually, not cheap at all, havent tried any multiplayer games on it yet (are there gonna be any?)

hopefullu games come down in price, I can really see this taking off big time
    DeadmanXIII
    DeadmanXIII

Post by DeadmanXIII Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:44 pm

not having much luck with Onlive. its saying i have a High latency connection to the internet, and wont let me connect.

Im thinking its either cause im on a wireless connection on my laptop and am connecting to the US server.

but according to my pc and pingtest.net my connection is great
    jufonuk
    jufonuk

Post by jufonuk Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:19 pm

DeadmanXIII wrote:not having much luck with Onlive. its saying i have a High latency connection to the internet, and wont let me connect.

Im thinking its either cause im on a wireless connection on my laptop and am connecting to the US server.

but according to my pc and pingtest.net my connection is great

why the blazes can i log in in wifi on my laptop?
    DeadmanXIII
    DeadmanXIII

Post by DeadmanXIII Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:02 pm

Hmmmm, I dunno. Witchcraft? Smile
    Davekma
    Davekma

Post by Davekma Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:04 am

No, it's just sensing Rob's Douchey-ness and is doing it's job of keeping PC gaming out of the hands of his type of Riff-Raff.
    Azrael808
    Azrael808

Post by Azrael808 Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 pm

OK... Onlive is a very cool concept (cloud computing is all the rage!), but... It will not supplant PC; it's more of a console replacement IMHO. Couple of points WRT the service itself:

- Currently, you can only game at 720p... PC displays can exceed 1080p if you're willing to shell out the $$$!

- Despite the company insisting latency isn't a problem; it really does depend on the quality of your connection. I know my own VM connection can be dog slow in peak times, and cable isn't known for having great and/or consistent latency (jitter).

- Modding... With all the game code running in the cloud, there's not much scope for gamers to mod their games. I just bought Oblivion in a Steam sale and have installed several mods to improve the visuals and gameplay. I think I recall Onlive saying they may support specific modded instances of games, but there's no control on the player's part over exactly what's running. Freedom ftw.

Anyway, I'll be intrigued to see how the platform develops, especially as their striking up deals with TV manufacturers to have the client pre-installed on smart TVs. If the barrier to adoption is low enough, I think the console makers will have some serious competition on their hands before long.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:58 pm